Do you want to learn the most important steps in writing a research paper? Read on!
Research writing: steps to take
- Plan ahead. You have to know the due date and order all the research materials, which you need, in advance to avoid the last-minute haste.
- Choose your topic. There are multiple ways to find topics for research paper. You can do it by studying your class notes, your textbook, an encyclopedia in your library, or journals that investigate the topics of your interest. Ask your professor or a librarian if you face any difficulties.
- Develop a thesis statement. Remember that it has to be concise, exact, attention-grabbing, and eye-catching. To develop a good statement, brainstorm your topic and uncover its multiple facets.
- Find materials. Use library catalogues, books, journals, and the internet to find suitable research materials. Remember the difference between these sources. Books usually have a general overview, while journals provide latest findings on the topic. The internet is an important source, but you should use it with caution and carefully analyze the information you find there. It is advisable to use Google Scholar and web guides of academic libraries.
- Evaluate the information. Carefully select the materials you are going to use. First of all, it’s recommended to use peer-reviewed or scholarly journal articles. Remember that your academic sources have to look plain, include references published by experts and researchers, have little or no advertising, and indicate peer evaluation. Use your critical thinking and analytical skills to assess your materials. Be especially careful with web sources.
- Use general writing tips. They include the following:
- Take notes during your first reading. It’s a good idea to use cards for different ideas and note the source for each of them. It will facilitate citing your paper.
- Categorize your cards after you have done your initial research. As a result, you should have different points that you will later discuss in your paper.
- Organize each of the categories to make your argument more structured.
- Create a draft for every category.
- Link all your points by developing interconnected paragraphs.
- Ensure the proper flow between your points by reading your paper out loud.
Follow our tips to develop the best research paper possible!